Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY Pintuck/Knotted Duvet Cover Tutorial: Part 1

Many of you have asked for it, so here it is! I put the tutorial together in visual format because I always like picture directions better. :) The duvet is made to look similar to this anthropologie beauty. The knot idea came from the brilliant girls at kojodesigns. To see detailed directions on the knot, check out their tutorial here. The biggest differences between what they did and what I did were this:
  • The Fabric- they used jersey, like the Anthropologie original. I wanted something a little more wear-resistant & substantial, so I used what I think is duck cloth/lightweight canvas.
  • I added a border to give it a more finished look. The instructions for this will be in Part 2 of the tutorial.
  • They made a quilt. I wanted to be able to wash it easily and I didn't really like the way the quilt laid, so I made a duvet.

Please note that the tutorial is for a queen size duvet. I suggest measuring your own duvet, dividing it into equal squares, adding 5 inches for your pucker, 2 inches for your seams, and cutting your squares that size. The rest of the tutorial will pretty much be the same.




Once you have your rows all sewn together, you have your front side done! The hardest part is over! Tune in later this week for part 2 of the tutorial.

13 comments:

DallasJenn said...

I've been waiting for this! Thanks for the fabric notes - SO helpful to know that the fabric you chose wasn't too stiff or bulky to make this work. Any thoughts about needing to launder it someday?

kirstin & jordan said...

love this! yours is gorgeous!
kirstin @ kojo

Bring Pretty Back said...

GASP! I absolutely love this style of bed covering!!
THANK YOU for the instructions!
Have a PRETTY day!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Love,love,love it, will try this out soon, posted your link to my facebook page.

.:+Pearlofafrika+:. said...

thanks for the instructions! love the visual.

Anonymous said...

Hey! LOVE this!! Any chance the second part of the tutorial will be coming soon!?!? I can't wait to dig into this project! Thanks!!! <3

carlos said...

Wow!..you're a genius. Is this very awesome! thank you so much for the step by step tutorial, you have no idea how much my wife will be happy for this. Thanks a lot.

"braun multiquick 3 k650 reviews"

Suzzi said...

Same here - this is so beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.

mrs.pabody said...

This is so gorgeous, but I want to know, is it uncomfortable to lay on top of this "quilt?" Great job - clear tutorial. THANKS for the hard work!

Courtney @ Project Pretty said...

Mrs. Pabody- it isn't ideal for lounging on, but it's not that bad.

muondo said...

home sweet home!;) nice blog!

Mary Brock said...

Thank you for taking the time to share this tutorial!

Jenny from My Handmade Home said...

This is so pretty! I love it!