Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Zane Update

I can't believe that in less than one month, we will be celebrating the one year anniversary of day that God saved Zane's life. One year already! Wow.. when I step back and look at how far Zane has come, it leaves me in awe of God's goodness and faithfulness.

Right now, Zane's neck is still healing up from his last surgery. We were in Boston a couple of weeks ago and had his burn/plastics surgeon look at his neck. The next step is going to be liposuction to remove excess fat from the flap and an advancement of the flap, which is similar to a face lift, only on the neck. It will contour the tissue so that it looks like a normal neck again, or in his surgeon's words, "It won't look like a muffin under your chin". Zane prefers to call it his double chin. :) This procedure can't be done until atrophy sets in more (the tissue softens up and almost becomes "flabby"). We figure it will be a couple of months before this will happen, at which point we'll schedule his surgery.


When we were in Boston last week, we also went to Mass Eye & Ear for another audiology consult. At this point, we know hearing aids are not going to work. Zane's hearing loss is so bad in his right ear that hearing aids only amplify the distortion. His left ear is not bad enough that a hearing aid actually helps. We talked to a doctor about cochlear implants. However, they told us that the implants will only be an option once BOTH ears have dipped to a 60% hearing loss. The doctor told Zane he was at about 50% loss. He also said that it will not get better, and that it will almost definitely get worse over time. His advice was to enjoy what natural hearing Zane had left and follow up every 6 months until cochlear implants were deemed an option. So, rather dismal news, but we're glad he told us the honest truth. We will just have faith and keep going.


Zane and I have continued to have opportunities to share our story with people at various churches and gatherings. It has been a fantastic blessing and we are working on forming a formal not-for-profit ministry. More on that later, but we are super excited about it.

I know I've been lax on updating over the past few months, but things should be getting better now. Thank you so much to those of you who are still following along. Your web "friendship" is encouraging.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Zane looks amazing!! WOW! Seriously, what a blessing and I too cannot believe it was a year ago! That's sad news about his hearing...I don't recall you ever mentioning his hearing loss in the past but I will pray that it won't get worse.

Amanda@studio1404.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I am a Med Rehab nurse and have seen the hard work and strength it takes for my patients to get to a much better place in a short period of time. Zane is a perfect example of that strength!!! He is darling! He makes my day!

Sarah said...

Ps there is an award waiting for you over on my blog. :)

Glendale Blinds said...

He is the perfect example of the strength, thanks for sharing it!

Phoenix Shutters said...

Life gives us second chances. We just have to use it wisely.

Glendale Blinds said...

may you have more blessings from the almighty

Glendale Blinds said...

may you have more blessings from the almighty

Bill S said...

Saw Zane at a company meeting and he looks great. Did not get a chance to speak to him but I will.
You have both been an inspiration and example in my life since the accident and I want to thank you both as well as my Lord Jesus Christ for how I now live my life.
When this accident happend I would have never guessed I would be where I am now. As a matter of fact I had gone the complete opposite direction.

Bill S.

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Such wonderful news to hear, Courtney. And so timely. I've been overwhelmed with all the blogs I subscribe to, and have been going through blogs for the last few hours "unsubscribing". I didn't want to look and see who was doing the postings, I was just unsubscribing willy-nilly. THANK YOU for the timely posting. I so want to continue following your blog. Such a timely post!!! Thank you.

Glendale Window Shades said...

I am apreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article.

Heloisa Nascimento said...

Tenho orado por Zane daqui do Brasil... Jesus é o grande Médico! Deus os abençoe.

Anonymous said...

Courtney and Zane ~
We MISS your updates! How are you doing? How is Zane doing? So excited to hear about your new business and to see the write-up about you in the BDN. Please let us know how things are going. :~}

Anonymous said...

Dear Courtney!

I just surfed at the Net, searching for kitchen ideas, when i found your blogsite. Than I saw a photo about your husband, and was intrested in, what happend with his neck. So I rolled deeper and deeper the whole story of yours. An when I read the whole story till 2010. oktober, I overapreciate my life. Who care's kitchen, when you have a healthy husband. Isn-'t it?
By the way congratulatin for your persistance and both of your brave!
I wish the best for you and your family!!!

Nelli from Hungary